Monday 25 June 2007

Fathers Day

My old dad lives nearly 200 miles away from where Wifey and I now live. I am originally from the North Midlands and now live within striking distance of the South Coast. This means that when I see my dad it’s invariably for at least a week at a time. I love my old dad but after a few days he drives Wifey and I balmy.

He is, at the moment, stopping for a fortnight. However, last Thursday night we discovered something really quite amazing. We have a live in babysitter. So we went to meet a friend last Thursday (albeit a day late and hence no friend there to meet!). So we went home, parked the car, and without stopping turned on our heals to the local pub. It was great. We had a whale of a time and had a chance to really talk. We got home and promptly hot footed it to the bedroom.

On Friday night, like a couple of dating teenagers, asked the old boy if he’d baby-sit and darted of to the pub again, this time for a bit to eat as well. After another night of non stop talking we left at closing time, walked home and again hot footed it to the bedroom.

The weekend was a bit of a wash out and ended on Sunday with a row over the decoration of our spare bedroom. We drove home in silence and exchanged glowering looks when we got in, so I want to paint and she went to feed the baby and prepare tea. I have found out that you can’t be angry and paint wood work. Wifey apologised, I mumbled an apology back (which is quite good for me). I normally stay in a mood for days but in 10 minutes we were back to being happy together again.

So thanks for baby sitting dad, even though he’ll never read this as the technology of computers is a little beyond him.

Even though Wifey and I have a strong relationship it has taken a battering recently, what with the baby, the new house and its associated financial pressures and pressure at both of our work places. We are planning two trips to the pub this week. I think it’ll do our relationship some good.

2 comments:

The Boy said...

Been there, done that. Its definately surviveable, just make allowances for each other and find that time alone. Its sooooo needed.

AFC 30K said...

Thanks for the reasurance, but it is hard going at times. We've come though worse, but sometimes you get battle weary......