Thursday 21 June 2007

It's been a while

It was been a while since I’ve written anything here. I think the last post kind of gave the game away a little. I’ve been quite stressed about all sorts of things, but mainly work. When I took this job there were two fundamental parts to it. One which I am very comfortable with, and one which I knew very little about. I knew the idea but not even the principle.

I am comfortable running construction projects of various types, under various forms of contract and acting as both contractor and now as a client. What I’m not familiar with is planning (who is?). My employers knew this when they hired me as I was up-font about it in my interview. I am in a fairly fortunate position where I can be honest with a potential employer as quite often it’s as much about finding out if I want to work for them as they finding out if they want me to work for them. Are you still with me on this?

Anyhow since working for the organisation I am predominantly working on planning and this is way outside my ‘comfort zone’. I don’t feel I get adequate direction which makes me feel as though I’m floundering around and going now where fast. This is not good for my moral as I’m OK with being outside of my comfort zone but I like to mix it with stuff in my comfort zone to help reassure me that I’m doing a good job. Feeling like I’m doing a good job is important to me and at the moment I don’t feel like I’m doing that well.

Hence I’m feeling stressed and unmotivated.

However this job does have some compensations, I just need to try and look on the bright side (which I don’t find easy when I’m feeling crap about myself). I was offered another job this week and I was sorely tempted. Two upsides. It’s working with a former colleague who I like and respect. The pay is really good. Two down sides. It’s in central London. The company has a 12 hour a day culture.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't do the 12 hour day thing ... it might be exciting to start with but its awful once you get into it and face the usual ups and downs of office life. don't do it - please!

did this go twice?

AFC 30K said...

Hello Belle and Welcome.

The pull is strong but I have worked long hours before when I was road building. The last road job I did saw guys burning out left right and centre.

My feet are still in the 'stick ait out and hope it gets better' camp.

Rog said...

Let the force take you, grasshopper.

AFC 30K said...

Murph, with me it's less of 'feel the force' and more of 'see the farce'