Monday 2 July 2007

One night last week

Since my Old Dad has been stopping with us Wifey and I’s social life has taken a dramatic upturn. He informed Wifey yesterday that we have one more ‘pass–out’* before he goes back home on Saturday evening. We were just busy planning another naughty night out at our local when Wifey’s middle sister phones after having some bother at work.

Wifey is very highly qualified and also quite widely experienced in HR for her tender years and so naturally she was the one to help. The tale is a torrid one, and it took a little longer than Wifey had expected to calm her sister and help her draft some letters. The baby goes to bed just before eight so we’d hoped to get away from home just after, but we finally arrived at the pub just after nine.

“It gives us 2 hours to get phished in” I said. “Huh, 2 hours is not a long time to get phised in honey pie” she replied. “Don’t tell me we could neck two bottles of wine each in the next 2 hours without even trying” I asked. “Good point” she replied, “now shut up and get the orders in”

To be fair we didn’t have anywhere near 2 bottles each to drink and the conversation was flowing more freely than the wine.

Towards closing time, the two girls on a table opposite us started to have some in depth mobile phone conversations with culminated in one of the girl’s irate boyfriends making an appearance at their table. To calm the situation down the girls sent her boyfriend away and, because they were both a little scared, they came to sit with Wifey and I.

They were interesting to talk to and it make me realise that in the 15 years since I was that age (and the age of the irate boyfriend) I have matured so much as man. 15 years ago I would have done stupid things like making a scene in public (even 5 years ago!) but now I am able to sit back and see the bigger picture.

We talked long past closing time and when we were finally thrown out they appeared a little nervous about the possibility that irate boyfriend would be outside waiting for them. We offered to walk them home. As predicted, Irate boyfriend was indeed waiting and did try and cause a scene, but, after a few quite words, that were not threatening I hasten to add, he backed off, but still he followed us and the two girls home.


We saw the girls safely to the door, told them to lock it, go to bed and ignore the irate boyfriend. After this, we walked home ourselves. I hope everything works out for the girls concerned, speaking as outsider, she deserved better.

*The phraseology you’d expect from a military man

6 comments:

Z said...

What an evening! Wife helps sister, Dad helps you, you both help unknown girls (and, by keeping things calm, you helped the boyfriend too) and you even got in some drinks and chat yourselves.

All round good results there, I think

AFC 30K said...

Hello Z and welcome.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but it's all rather circular as I was helping my Old dad out by getting him involved with his new grandson...

I was sat here this morning just thinking about what had become of the two unknown young ladies. I hope they're OK.

We were told that said boyfriend had hit is girlfriend a couple of weeks ago. I would have liked to repay him the complement, but I know these things are rarely that simple and it is up to the girl in question to take control of her life and ditch the idiot. Fortunatley she had a good friend who was standing by her friend waiting for botfriend and girlfriend to fall apart. The friend I just knew would be there to support the girlfriend.

A little complicated I know but it makes perfect sense to me!

The Boy said...

I'm with Z. Sounds like a virtuous evening, tho not necessarily for the girls in question.

AFC 30K said...

Mmmm. I like the sound of me being virtuous. It makes me sound a little grander than I actually am. A little more gentlemanly, a little more chivalrous.....

Rog said...

2 bottles of wine is normally a "pass out" in my case. Such a lightweight!

AFC 30K said...

Blimey Muph.

2 bottles of wine is not a lightweight; especially not for a labrador cross.

Anyhow as Mr P is soon to be jobless, you'd better stop nicking his wine!