Thursday 3 May 2007

A challenge.

I get bored very easily and I need to be challenged in my professional life. Whilst I am a middle manager I’m not yet at the top of my profession. I’m not often heard saying this, but, I’m not perfect. This means I need a structure in which to work and I need to be managed effectively to bring out the best in me. Whilst financial recompense is important in a job it isn’t the be all and end all I need someone, once in a while, to pat me on the back and say “good job”.

In my current position I don’t feel challenged I have no rules. I can, more or less, do what I want, when I want, as long as I deliver the goods. No one ever tells me I’ve done a good job, but they are quick to jump in and tell me when I’ve done something wrong. This leads me to be quite despondent at times; the crux is that I do actually like my job

Today I’ve been bored and it’s not been an inspiring day. It has made me want to move jobs again. I tend to move jobs every 2 or 3 years but I’ve only been here 7 months and moving now would look feckless on my part. But there is still something in my head querying where my career is going “stop languishing in this place and find something fresh”. But, job hunting for me is tortuous is there are two contradicting elements within me, one that tells me I’m great at my job and I could do this job standing on my head. There other element sits on my shoulder and tells me that I’m useless and I just blag my way out of difficult situations and why would anyone want to employ me.

But remember I really like my job and the people I work with.

Still, tomorrow’s Friday and it’s a bank holiday weekend. I shall share a drink with friends, toast absent friends and spend time with my family. Summer is starting, our first summer as more than a couple.

2 comments:

The Boy said...

Personally I'd stick it out for a couple years at least. My jobs have always tended to change every year within an employer anyway, and you really don't want the CV to look feckless (like that word...)

AFC 30K said...

Thanks for the input.

2 years is stay is the way I'm leaning. I was just a little concerened I was staying here because it's easier to stay than to move and also sometimes it's better the devil you know....