Monday 21 May 2007

Mind the Gap

Mind the gap. The one you step over when you leave work and start your commute home. That gap that you drop all you work stresses, worries and other daily accumulated baggage in to and pick up your home joys, troubles and other accoutrements.

Do any of you have any troubles with avoiding the gap and taking work stuff home and home stuff to work? I am guilty of this and if Wifey had a gap between her office and home then the house would fall down, what with working from home and the like.

Work is bound to impact on your personal life. Without work you wouldn’t be able to pay the mortgage (with the exception of a few). What would you fill your day with? What worth would you put on yourself? Having been out of work for a year once and an emotional wreck there came a point were I took the first job available to me. I worked in a laundry, which as it happened suited my needs down to the ground and I stayed there for two years.

Are you doing well enough in your career? Am I earning enough? Are our friends more successful than us? Do our bosses think we do a good job? Are we valued by our colleagues? Did I make the right decisions last ---------? (fill in the blank as appropriate)

Wifey works for herself and her success, income and value changes on a monthly basis. All of these factors lead to the stress and strain of everyday living. I know I am a nicer person when I’m on holiday and, just like The Boy over at Boy on Top, when I’m leaving a job. That great time when your responsibility diminishes in your old job and you’re in your honeymoon period in your new job. A time when all the stress can wash straight over you. As I said folks; Mind the Gap, Mind the Gap

No comments: