Tuesday 12 February 2008

And the week goes on

I was very tired by the time I arrived home on Friday, although I was home by 4pm. The weekend was relaxing; Saturday was spent in Horsham for lunch, Crawley in the afternoon followed by a visit to Wifey's grandparents.

I went for lunch in the coffee shop of the cook shop where the knif incident happened last week. I talked to the manager and he was very accomodating in sitting over a coffee and discussing what happend, what has been done since the incident and also about the general risk assessment and health and safety issues in the shop. I feel he was wise to be accomodating as if he'd been obtuse I would have talked to the HSE. The knife had been left on the sales counter after it being shown to a customer, then a small rush ensued and the knife was not placed back in the cabinet. The cheaper knives are all kept padlocked and cabled tied in their plastice cases and can't be accidentally pulled out by either children or thieves.

The manager was not aware the child and his mother had been left alone and promised to look in to the matter, but in fairness a mistake was made, compunded by the mother and the assistant who originally helped did not know what to do - they are in the process of holding training briefings about safety and what to do should an accident happen.

Anyway, in Crawley we chose a new suite for our downstairs cloakroom - I just need to make sure everything fits and works with our current layout, I then need to pursude Wifey to pay up for it all.

Sunday was in Brighton with some friends at a sushi bar that we like and that are child friendly. We missed Wendz and Martin, but I'm sure we bump in to them one day....

Yesterday I was our Bournemouth office, and overnight stay st a hotel in Canford Cliffs (which was really rather nice) and then a day training on an office in Poole. A good couple of days but I seem to have picked up on the internal politics. I know they exist in every work place, but I do hate them...

Anyway, Wifey wants my laptop, despite now having 3 laptops a desktop and a server to choose from!

4 comments:

The Boy said...

No mater where you are, there are the politics. Its all part of work!

Glad it seems to be going well though.

martin said...

We are not avoiding you..... It was a very spontaneous trip. Next time I will make contact and we can meet for a coffee at Cafe Nero....glad the new job is going well. Women and computers,like shoes they can never have enough......

AFC 30K said...

Oh yes Boy; I know there'll always be politics, but it's still disapointing when you find negative points.

Martin; I was only pulling your leg, as for meeting up, breakfast at Bills is something to behold.


As for Wifey and shoes, she cares not a jot - Wifey and handbags and underwear, now that's a different matter......

Z said...

Meeting Martin and Wendy is well worth some effort.

I'm glad that your efforts at the cook shop have borne some results - if no one had said anything, they wouldn't have realised how badly they had failed. Well done, there's no way of knowing what accident might be prevented, but you have done a genuinely good act.