Thursday 7 February 2008

Tired

After my month off work it has been a rude awakening having to go to work this week - It's been a funny old week; moments of franetic activity, lots of being nice to people and some, just sitting and trying to find something to occupy my time.

First weeks are funny like that.

So, this week I was on the road at 7 on Monday, 6 on wednesday and it'll be 6 again tomorrow, which meeans a 5:15 wake up. It took me two hours to get home tonight as the M23 was shut at Gatwick. I work very near the airfield and as such I got snarled up in the jams of the diverted traffic. Two hours to drive 16 miles :-(

I was hoping for an early finish tomorrow but my boss called me. So, you're getting your laptop tomorrow morning, what are you doing in the afternoon as I have a meeting I'd like you to sit in on". One didn't feel it was appropriate to respond "well after the early starts and the odd late finish this week I was hoping for a POETS* day". I know I'll have to put the hours in, but there is always the next rung on the ladder to reach for and that rung is a senior management post. The next job up the ladder carries all the right perks; at that pay grade I can choose all the desirable cars** (no mondeo's and vectra's....). Company credit card and 4* hotels are within my grasp, but more importantly I'll be in a position where I can really exercise my skills and make a difference.

I do also realise that the next rung has it's downsides, but I guess the positives give me something to work towards.

*Piss Off Early, Tomorrow's Saturday
** I don't do company cars, I drive my little polo and laugh all the way to the bank on car allowance :-)

2 comments:

The Boy said...

Hotel policy based on car allowance! That's a new one on me.

Sounds like its going well. A nuisance to have a late Friday, but important to show willing at the start. How's the new laptop?

AFC 30K said...

Not quite that straight forward but it's just I'm outside of my Hay grade on pay but equal on car grade.

Lap top isn't bad - it's a mide range Dell, but they did, as a matter of course, give me a docking station, keyboard, 19" monitor and a complet set up for going mobile and travelling to other offices.

They also, without asking again, issued me with a new digital camera (handy in my job but I usuakky have to beg for one)