Saturday 2 February 2008

Saturday Night....

....was a very catch tune by Whigfield in 1996 as I recall. Apart from that it's Saturday night and I'm facing the night all on my lonesome as Wifey has gone out to a hen party (dressed in a mini skirt and low cut top) where she assures me that her and her girlfriends are going to have a meal at a respectable restaurant and it will alll be good clean fun. He girlfriend who collected her was simliarly dressed and they are one their way to ensure all the enterainment was lined up for later. I thought it best not to ask any further.

I started my job on Friday. I arrived at 08:45 but my colleagues didn't start showing up until 09:30 as it was a Friday...... My boss arrived at 10:00, but then again he did have to drive from Bournemouth. He was gone again by 13:00 and so, after a long lunch I went back to the office to read my induction pack and left for home about 16:30. I have my own office with my name on the door (tastfully done on a sheet of A4 paper...) but It's a decnt size and I even have my own meeting table and lay-up table (for speading architectural drawings out) I also have a view on to the high street. Not bad really, alothough it could do with a lick of paint.

My one dissapointment is that I don't get my laptop etc until I have had my IT induction and that's not until next Friday. I have to drive to Bournemouth for that. The training looks enthralling - 20 minues is set aside for showing me how to unpack and repack the laptop in it's case......

Next week will be the real start - Southampton Monday, office meetings on Tuesday, company wide Development Team meeting in Swindon on Wednesday, shadowing a colleage on Thursday and then off to Bournemouth for IT training on Friday. It doesn't sound like I'll have a chance to get bored.

On another note I was in Horsham today in a well know cookshop when I overheard a comotion; Next I heard a shop assistant call for an ambulance and describe the problem; I also heard the screaming. I am a first aider and so I follwed the noise to see if I could help. I found a six or seven year old boy sat on the floor with his obviously shocked mother kneeling beside him in the entrance foyer of the toilet. It transpires that said boy had grabbed hold of a knife, out of shear instinct his mother, knowing it was dangerous, grabbed the knife away from him, in doing so she sliced his hand open quite badly.

I'm not going to judge the mother; as a parent I know that despite your best efforts you don't always get everything right and this boy seemed well cared for and his mother was beside herself with worry, she also looked like she was coming down with shock. When I found them the mother had been left alone by the shop assistants and was glad of any help. I briefly checked the wound, the resultant scream and drip of blood told me not to investigate further. I simply reapplied the hand towels which were being used as a compress and kept the pressure on - all I could then do was try and keep everyone calm, which I seemed to do. The ambulance arrived and I left the situation to the pros.

Looking back I find myself disturbed by the incident in the following ways; How did this young boy get his hands on the knife? I accept that as I parent I am responsible for my child, but I keep our knifes in a block on the work top away from little hands. Yet in this cookshop he was simply able to pick up a knife. Surely the shop has a responsibility to keep such dangerous items out of reach - their expensive knives are locked in a very large display case yet the cheap knifes were displayed on a rack that went all the way to the floor.

Secondly, the shop assistants offered no help what so ever, they called an ambulance and left mother and child to it. I think the behaviour of the company as a whole and the shop assistants were abominable. What do you think?

4 comments:

Z said...

That's a disaster all round. It doesn't sound as if the mother was very sensible - I automatically check out anywhere I go with small children for danger spots and six or seven is plenty old enough to know about knives. Then, for goodness sake, you grab the child's wrists, not the blade of the knife.

Having said that, the shop was far more to blame. It's beyond belief that no one realised the danger of a display of knives at child level - a toddler could have reached them and have no concept of their danger. And then to leave the woman and her child is inexcusable. No more to say than that - I think that if they were reported, a prosecution would result.

20 minutes to learn to pack and unpack a laptop? I say. Go on, I bet you can manage it in less than 18, and then go for an early lunch...

AFC 30K said...

You raise an excellent point about the child having the concept of knives - I'm just careful not to judge as I haven't had a 6/7 year old so I don't really know what they are capable of.

I think I may look at the HSE website tmorrow morning.....

I will try to beat your target of 18 minutes but it irks me that I'll have to drive to Bornemouth just to learn the system - I've been using the system on the spare terminals in both my office and the Southampton office Friday and today and, apart from it being Citrix, I seemed to get on just fine...

The Boy said...

That sounds like a good first week, though just maybe the "IT Induction" is a bit overboard...

I'm with Z, though we keep knives out of reach, I've also started letting the boys help with meals and use knives while supervised.

The shop though, that's appalling. Knives should be locked up or behind counters. Leaving them both alone is both horrible morally, but also a breach of health and safety.

Unknown said...

Crazy stuff. Although with all the lawsuit frenzy that seems to be rife at the moment, I suppose the supermarket just wanted to wash their hands of it, so to speak.

Doesn't make it right though. Weird about the child having the concept of a knife...