Wednesday 15 August 2007

The Assessment Centre

Yesterday I went to an Assessment Centre for a new job.

I think that, although the day was difficult, I have two advantages over the other candidates
1) I turned up on time
2) I turned up at all

Yes, That’s right of the six people supposed to be attending, one was on holiday, two dropped out the day before and of the three of us left one arrived an hour and three quarters late and the other four and three quarter hours late.

The company who were doing the interviewing were not amused. I stopped over night in a hotel nearby and arrived promptly at 8:45am. I am so good sometimes.

I will find out on Friday if I have been invited to the next stage of the assessment process. I have many positive things going for me but there are a couple of negatives. Firstly I don’t work in the industry in which they operate. I work on the periphery of this industry and the type of company I have gone for a job with are normally my customers. In short I understand what they do it’s just that I don’t have all the technical skills to actually do it. However, at this level of the job I would have a team of people who can do the technical stuff for me.

Secondly, I really bombed out on my numerical reasoning test. I had a small mental breakdown. My brain just gave up and went home. It wanted to take me with it, right out of the door across the car park into my car and them home. I had to will my self to stay seated and try and concentrate. I then sat a verbal reasoning test and I think I did OK on that one.

So we’ll just have to wait and see what Friday brings. I have to say though that I have my doubts that they will want to take me forward. I don’t think that I’m quite at the level they want at the moment.

I still have my fingers crossed in hope.

No comments: