Monday 20 August 2007

My Colin Firth Moment.

I still haven’t finished off recounting my holiday on a day-by-day basis as yet, but I’m not in the right frame of mind at the moment.

I’m pre-occupied with the trial and tribulations of my everyday life at the moment. I finally finished the spare room, although there are a couple of snags that I’ve got to remedy. It was all a little deflating in the end as the room isn’t as big as I thought it was. I’m sure I’d measured everything accurately (what with being an engineer and everything) but alas no. The room is too small to fit the side table by the bed I had envisaged so the double bed takes up a large proportion of the room.

Wifey and I went in to Crawley on Saturday afternoon to go to B&Q and to pick up some curtains. The day was not good, I don’t like Crawley at the best of times, but they do have an excellent shop that sells decent curtains at bargain prices and the B&Q has a better choice than my local Homebase. We decided to park at B&Q and walk in to the town centre but it drizzled on the way in and Wifey got her hair wet (which is a major concern to most of the ladies out there) and looked a little on the drowned rat side. She was not a happy girl.

A little of a weekend ritual is our weekend coffee shop stop and Saturday was no exception. The Costa in Crawley has the best Barrista I have ever seen working there. The man is lightening quick and always makes a great Mocha! I like to watch people who are both good at their job and take a pride in their work. This man certainly does. As does the lady who helped us choose our curtains; she was so good I am tempted to write to her head office and tell them how good she was.

When it was time to go home I, like a true gentleman, offered to go and get the car and pick Wifey up from the town centre. I got soaked to the skin and turned up to collect Wifey with my shirt stuck to my skin (although I don’t think I had the same effect as Colin Firth when he started wandering around in a wet shirt).*

Sunday came and the baby, henceforth known as Pickle, was being an absolute pain in the arse! More decoration to the spare room was undertaken followed by our weekly trip to Brighton to let some paint dry. I love Brighton and would happily move there but Wifey wouldn’t. It’s only 20 minutes away I love the atmosphere there and a stroll on the sea front always cheers me up. I love it in the winter and the sea is fierce, Wifey, like to be inside in the warm, next to an open fire.

Back home and Pickle and I fought over his dinner. I could have cheerfully sold him in to slavery yesterday…….. It was then non stop until 8pm when Pickle was in bed and food and wine were on the table. Oh, and I watched Hot Fuzz on DVD. I loved it and it even made Wifey chuckle. So we can both recommend it.

Now Monday is here and it’s back to work. I am meeting with one of my two bosses tomorrow. Not the big one though as he is on holiday, but all the same I have to run around ensuring everything is ‘ship shape’.

I doubt I’ll be able to post tomorrow, but may be more on Wednesday.

*I wish I'd written the post after I'd thought of the title - I might have made more of my Colin Firth moment....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will always be my Colin Firth RRRAAAAAARRRRRRRHH!

Rog said...

Call me a cynical old dog, but I think that's you pretending to be wifey.

Did you name pickle after Richard Branston?

The Boy said...

If you think Pickle is being a pain with feeding now just you wait walking starts...

AFC 30K said...

Murph. You are a cynical old dog.

Honestly it really was Wifey; Although she doesn't actually mean it. She was just appeasing my fragile male ego.

martin said...

I love Brighton too. Thr restaurant Brown's is one of my favourites. Never fails to lift the spirits.

Z said...

You go curtain shopping with your wife? Gosh. And you are even better than Colin Firth? Well!

I used to live by the sea, and I liked it best in the winter when there was a big sea and you could taste the salt on your lips when you got back home to warm up by the open fire.

AFC 30K said...

Thank you Z. I do go curtain shopping, and clothes shopping and food shopping.

I try and remind Wifey how lucky she is, but then she points out that it only just makes up for the fact that I'm a miserable, moody Northern git.......