Tuesday 28 August 2007

Elderly Parents

I’ve not got much time, but today, a day that started out so easily and gently (one of the perks of my job) has taken a rapid descent. My father is 75 and has, over the last two years, been getting poorly. He was diagnosed in June with heart failure. Since he want back after his last visit down south he has not stepped out of the house, except to be collected by and ambulance to take him to and fro from the hospital.

He lives 200 miles away and it’s not easy to get up north on a Friday night to see him for the weekend. We make have to take him in with us, which is obviously not ideal.

A myriad of other problems which make the situation more difficult one of which being that he made some very inappropriate comments to my sister in law (even on her and my brothers wedding day). She is black and my brother and I are white (very white and my sunburn this weekend proves that!) and my father does not believe in mixed marriages. Strangely enough she does not want to see or speak to him and, as a consequence, my brother (who lives locally to him) visits very infrequently.

A difficult time.

5 comments:

The Boy said...

Ick, having that soft of family fued always makes things more difficult. Mr wife's uncle has completely broke with both his children and his siblings. He's now in his 80's and completely alone.

Then, taking care of elderly parents is never easy. I don't know if I'm blessed or cursed that my mother is 8000 miles distant. The burden falls on a sister and I know she oft resents it.

I hope he improves.

AFC 30K said...

I have a cunning plan involing selling houses and buying retirement flats but it all hinges on the money....

As for 8000 miles didtant, I do understand it being both a blessing and a curse.

Rog said...

She lives on the moon?!!!

AFC 30K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AFC 30K said...

No Murph. It's 'The Man' that lives in the moon.

The Boy's mum lives in Canada!