Thursday 30 August 2007

Computers, Pretty Women and Dinosaurs

Well it was a glorious Bank Holiday weekend we have just had. (only a 2 day weekend this week; booooo). As I have said I took the preceding Friday off, which was free as I worked for 4 hours on a Saturday some months ago. Friday was spent catching up on chores which involved moving Wifey’s office from the dining room to one of the spare bedrooms. There comes a time when a room must be decorated and I couldn’t put it off any longer. We also wanted a dining room back as we have a big table and it makes the living room feel a little cluttered.

After much sweet, some blood, no tears but a strained back the office was substantially moved. And then guess what happened. Yes, that’s right, the bloody computer system went up the spout again. It is a long and sorry tale and things are still not resolved as I speak. Apparently it revolves around the DHDP settings and some port forwarding issues. According to BT and the B-i-L it should be resolved today. I hate touching Wifey’s computers as they always seem to break when I touch then, and it’s invariably my fault!

Saturday saw some work on the house; ripping wall paper off the walls, so it was the fun stuff. And then a leisurely wander around town. Wifey had to do some work; she was interviewing a couple of candidates for one of her clients whilst I had tea and pain au chocolate in a great little coffee shop in one of the best cook shops in the whole of the land. It’s so good that even when a high class chain of kitchen shops took it over and gave it a dramatic make over they still kept the name and the original theme of the shop. It was also good as Pickle (the baby) was ogled over by numerous women. Naturally I, as a virile, hot blooded male, sired such a handsome boy!

Wifey was dressing work clothes when we meet up again after the interview, but managed to break the heal off one of her shoes so, barefooted, we set off to by new shoes. This lead to a small shopping spree. So an hour later she was transformed from business suited woman to summer dress and sandal wearing girl. I will have to point out that later in the day Wifey managed to break a strap on her new dress but I will always remember that dress fondly 

Sunday, they was more DIY in the morning followed by an afternoon of Polo at the Sussex Polo Club. It was all very refined drinking cocktails and wine and eating a superb pick nick lunch provided by the sponsors whilst watching the sport of kings. Wifey, as the other ladies present, had a change to recreate their own Pretty Woman moment* by treading in the divots at the end of the game. Mind the steaming divots!

Sunday was hot, really hot and we both got sunburned. We noticed too late that we were both going a little on the pink side, but I’m used to it by now.

Monday and it was the father in law’s birthday, so as a treat we bought him a membership to the Natural History Museum. He loved the present and so, on the 09:04 to Victoria we all headed to the capital. It has been many years since I went to the Natural History museum but I was awed by it this time as I was the last, although the dinosaur in the main hall doesn’t seem quite as big as he did last time I visited. I supposed it goes to show just how much bigger things seem when you are a child. Take Mars bars for instance! I spent Saturday and Sunday really looking forward to going to the museum and I wasn’t disappointed.

The highlight had to be when Wifey saw the sign for the fossil display and said “oh look, we could goes and see the fossils” to which I replied, we don’t need too, we bought the old fossils with us”. The mother in law did eventually see the funny side…..

*I have the photos to prove it and I am debating if I should post it here as I have a shot that doesn’t show her face….

6 comments:

The Boy said...

It was a lovely weekend wasn't it? Do you ride? Tried polo for a while, but its both time consuming and expensive.

Go on then, post a good anonymous photo. I take it the cat wasn't your wife then?

Unknown said...

Ohhh, jealous. I want to go and watch Polo in my finery and tread divots. That and Ascot are my 'wants' for days out next year.

AFC 30K said...

The cat is called Guinevere and is far friendlier than Wifey...

I have never ridden, but I have always wanted to. Although I really haven't got any spare cash at the moment (new house, new car, new baby, new business etc). If money permits I will have a lesson or two one day and see if I like it.

I had tried to post another photo that I took with the swanky new SLR but Blogger ate it as I think the file size may be too big.

I will have to get Wifey's permission to post the picture and then haul it of the server, which as you may have read is not accessible at the moment. May be next week!

AFC 30K said...

Heelo Jo and welcome.

It really was rather glamerous and I do have a picture of Wifey drinking a glass of wine and treading down divots in high healed sandles.

I also have a picture of the the same activity taken from behind, so she may object to me posting a picture of her bum on the internet. I will ahve to try and talk her round as I think it's worth posting up there for posterity (posterior posterity???)

As for Ascot I've never been, but my mother has appeared in the local newspaper in my old home town of her visiting on ladies day. God how she sapped up the attention.

AFC 30K said...

My typo's and grammer is appaling at the moment - please accept the usual appologies.

This is mainly due to the fact I can't spell for toffee and I never check the post before I post it.....

Anonymous said...

ok, you can post piccy of my behind - although i have to say its not the most flattering piccy of me!! but as long as my hubby likes it :-)