Tuesday 4 September 2007

The Start of Something New

I was have a pretty sparse day in terms of inspiration for a bog post when I read The Boy’s post about is children going back to school.

I never liked school, I didn’t do very well academically and for some of the time I was bullied. I left school with three CSE’s and not very good ones at that. Since that time I have put myself back through college and university and now have a good 2:1 degree in Civil Engineering. They say necessity is the mother of all invention and I needed a better job so I invented some exam results (I wasn’t bright enough to get on my original college course) and some motivation and got myself educated. I am currently in the process of persuading my employer to sponsor me to undertake and MBA.

I’m immensely proud of my achievements, although I am missing a good basic education. I can’t spell or punctuate properly and, whilst my higher maths is fine, my basic maths is appalling.

Today Pickle (the baby) started nursery. At just short of 10 months old Wifey and I thought he needed to interact with more children than the few he knows from Wifey’s informal baby group (The Coven). Nursery also helps Wifey in terms of her business; it’s hard to run a business effectively with a bouncing baby vying for every bit of attention. So off he goes to nursery. Only 2 days a week (although his granny and granddad have him on Thursdays), but it really is the start of something new; his education.

Wifey and I have been very impressed with what the nursery has to offer and a key point was that they pay close attention to the children’s development which is from nationally recognised educational and developmental standards. There are lots of other things that are impressive too, but we liked the fact his play is aimed at developing him.

His education will last him a lifetime and it’s our responsibility as parents to ensure he attends the best he is able too. Whilst not wanting to be ‘competitive dad’ I don’t want him to have to work like I had did after I had left school. I wish him to make the best possible start in life. Take it from someone that has known employment both pre and post degree, I can say is that I’m glad I did my degree.

He’s not the happiest little boy at the moment, his teeth are shooting through rapidly and he has a bit of a sniffle, so to say he is crotchety is an understatement! I hope is careers had a better day than I had a night, but above all I hope Pickle enjoys his day. I shall find out at 5:45 when I pick him up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhh bless him. I used to babysit for some kids after school, turns out I got them at the worst time of the day; when they're tired, hungry, grumpy and don't want to do homework. Their mum was apparently 'working late'. SURE. Suuuuuuure.

AFC 30K said...

This nursery is great! It's aimed at commuters so they do everything for you.
Ithey feed him breakfast lunch and tea, they have spare clothes for him so all I have to do is drop and go!

I would work late but they charge £6.00 for every 15 minutes after 6pm you are late collecting the child....

Ps, did you get the photo of the uggies????