Thursday 10 January 2008

Things to Make You go Mmmmmm

So, an interesting day. It appears that I will not be parting on good terms with my current employer. I had some questions about the exact terms on which I was being put on garden leave. In return I got a snot-o-gramme from my boss saying that my services were no longer required as my duties were being perform by others in the organisation.

This was due to the fact that a return to work date for such an illness is uncertain and my job can't wait for me to recover. They've also changed the locks to my office building.

I did always say my boss was an alcoholic dictator didn't I. Today just proved that I'm better off out of the clutches of a work place bully. In all honesty I got off lightly, he is much worse to others since left and also current employees, but hey, I left on my terms and I think that this was do as a last parting shot to ensure he had the last word.

I've still got to collect my personal items - now that should be an amusing event.

6 comments:

martin said...

I am sure that it will be strange to go there and collect your stuff,but just think how great you will feel when that door closes behind you for the last time,and you see the building disappearing in the rear view mirror. I have been there, that night you wil float around the house.

AFC 30K said...

I'm putting it off at the moment - although I think I should do it sooner rather than later - the sooner I do it, the quicker I can put this behind me.

I am a little concerened about my reference. My boss loves rethoric, but this organisation has been taken to tribunal before for giving a bad reference.

The Boy said...

If you're asked to get a reference, it doesn't have to be from your boss. I often take co-worker or even subordinate references, it gives a clearer picture. Or use a previous employment, those count to.

Don't stress about picking out the stuff. It is perfectly allowable to send someone else if you expect it will get confrontational. If wifey goes with baby in tow, *nothing* will happen...

Z said...

Ghastly, beastly man. I'm so glad you have another job - and, as you say, you left on your terms. If anything, he's played into your hands by giving you gardening leave.

I bet Wifey enjoys having you at home now that you don't have the stress of going to a job you're unhappy in any more. Have a lovely weekend

AFC 30K said...

I've already given my bosses name but he's quite well know in the circles we operate. So well know for being a bit of an outsider.

I went in today to collect my stuff - and no problem. My boss is based in central London, I was in the Surrey office. My colleague was very supportive.

Interestingly, all the emails we've ever exchanged have been deleated from my email account. I have electronnic copies of most offending emails, but I don't think it will ever go that far. If I get paid and a standard refernce then I'm happy. If not, then it's war!

AFC 30K said...

Thanbks Z.

I think going in today and clearing up helps to put things behind me. I now have three weeks off - and yes Wifey is enjoying having me at home - babysitting and office junior all rolled in to one.

To redress the balance to my boss - He his ghastly, but to be fair I am very stong willed when I'm on form. When ever we've diagreed I've given as good as I've gotten. So I'm not the easiest person to work with at times.

Anyway, onwards & upwards.